The large churchyard represents the culmination of many extensions. Until the opening of the town cemetery in South Road in 1879, this was the main burial ground for the parish. The last enlargement took place in 1930, but burials are now confined to residents of the immediate parish or members of the Electoral Roll.
The present northern gateway, wall and approach path to the church were the gift of Mr Ernest Stevens in 1930. An ancient lychgate once graced the front of the church, the parish stocks awaiting their victims nearby.