There are many different groups and activities taking place here at St Mary’s. New members are always welcome so feel free to contact the organisers to find out more.
The walking group meets on the last Saturday of each month. Members of the group take it in turns to lead walks. Unless otherwise stated, walks commence at 9.30 am from the car park at St Mary’s.
For further information, contact Mike Blaxland on 01384 390537.
ALL ARE WELCOME TO JOIN US – DOGS INCLUDED!
Thursday evenings: 7.30 pm.
Sunday morning: 9.30 am; Evensong: 6:00 pm.
We also ring for weddings throughout the year.
Captain of the Tower:
John Sutton 01384 820325 or 07956675990 or email@example.com
St. Mary’s tower dates from the late 14th century.
It houses eight bells rung from a ringing chamber above the west porch. Records exist of all peals rung at Oldswinford since 1894.
Click here to listen to the bells ringing Stedman Triples.
Click here to listen to the bells ringing Old Swinford Surprise Major
|Description of the bells|
|Treble||John Taylor||Loughborough||1902||25 ins||4-1-15||To the Glory of God and to commemorate the wedding day of William Cochrane and Eliza Collis. May 11th 1859|
|2||John Taylor||Loughborough||1902||26 ins||4-2-13||To the Glory of God and to commemorate the wedding day of William Cochrane and Eliza Collis. May 11th 1859|
|3||Matthew Bagley||Chacombe||1687||27 ins||5-0-1||Mathew Bagley made mee. 1687|
|4||Matthew Bagley||Chacombe||1686||28.5 ins||5-1-14||Cantate Domino Canticum Novum M.Bagley 1686|
|5||Henry Bagley||Chacombe||1686||30.5 ins||5-1-14||Henry Bagley made mee 1686|
|6||John Taylor||Loughborough||1902||33 ins||6-2-18||Recast by John Taylor & Co Loughborough Leicestershire 1902|
|7||Matthew Bagley||Chacombe||1686||37 ins||8-0-24||Mathew Bagley of Chacom made mee 1686|
|Tenor||Abel Rudhall||Gloucester||1740||40 ins||10-3-12 |
|I To the Church The Living Call And to the Grave do Summon All A R 1740|
The Flower Guild members arrange flowers in church throughout the year, except during Lent.
There is a weekly rota which shares out times between members to suit their own schedules.
New helpers are always needed, especially for Easter, Christmas and Harvest when the church has extra-special decorations!
St Mary’s with St John’s Mothers’ Union meets in the Coach house at 2.15 pm on the second Tuesday of every month. We start our meetings with a short service, led by a member. We often have a speaker on a subject of interest. Sometimes we hasve a ‘Do it Ourselves’ meeting. We finish meetings with tea and biscuits.
Mothers’ Union is a worldwide organisation. It was founded in 1876 by Mary Sumner, who was a Vicar’s wife in a Hampshire village. She wanted to support Christian family life.
Some Mothers’ Union members go into maternity wards at Russells Hall Hospital to talk and listen to new mothers; we also knit blankets and make baby gowns for the Special Care Unit. Some members work as volunteers at Blakenhurst Prison, making cups of tea for visitors and running a creche for visitors’ children.
Mothers’ Union is active in Christian villages all over Africa and worldwide. Local members are trained to teach about HIV Aids and about basic literacy and numeracy.
Our motto is ‘Christian care for families worldwide.’
If you wish to be involved in the Mothers’ Union, please contact Pat Whalley 01384 422677.