Description of the Present Church
The nave of St Mary's dates from 1843. It was designed by Mr S Ebbells and built in decorated style by Messrs. Griffiths at a cost of £4500.
The windows were paid for by Mr William Hunt, a local solicitor. His memorial can be found high on the south wall of the chancel. He died after a fall from his horse, some six months before the official opening of the nave in October 1843.
The building is constructed from a local sandstone which has tended to crumble very badly over the years. Orignally there were galleries on the north and west sides of the church, as well as at the west end, but the side galleries were removed in the 1950s. The box pews and their doors are contemporary with the nave. Before 1898 the altar rail and communion table were in a small recess at the east end.
To find out about the memorials in the church click here.
Thanks largely to the zeal and energy of the Rev'd. Alfred Bell Timbrell, the chancel, vestry and south chapel were added to the church in 1898 at a cost of £3769, by Messrs. Collins and Godfrey of Tewkesbury to a design by J Chatwin of Birmingham.
The large east window, measuring 14 feet wide by eighteen feet high was donated by Mrs Edward Webb, wife of the founder of a local seed business. In the apex are three figures representing the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Below are a number of figures standing for the Christian Virtues. In the larger lights on the second tier can be seen St Andrew, St Stephen,and St Peter, and on the left-hand side St John, St Alban and St Paul. The central panel shows Christ in Glory. In the lowest tier the three lights on the left show the presentation of Christ to the Magi, and the three on the right show Christ with doctors in the temple. The central panel shows Our Lady with the Infant Christ.
The east window of the south chapel bears witness to the work of the Rev'd. Timbrell, who died in December 1898. The two windows on the south wall of the south chapel are memorials to an iron master, Mr James Evers Swindell of Old Swinford Castle, who died in 1910 and to the memory of Robert Henry Grazebrook who was lost in action with his ship HMS Cressy in September 1914.
|Copyright ©2008 St Marys Oldswinford.|
All Rights Reserved.