St Mary's Organ
In the chancel can be seen the fine three-manual organ built in 1901 by Messrs. Norman and Beard of Norwich, but enlarged in 1939 and electrified in 1975. This replaced an older two-manual organ built by James Nicholson of Worcester in the 1840s and situated in the west gallery. The present organ was completely overhauled by Trevor Tipple in 1995, with new ranges of pipes being added.
Earlier still, an organ was inaugurated at the west end of the church in March 1810, at which a recital was given by a Mr Simms. The Simms family served the church as organists for much of the nineteenth century and were succeeded by Mr Hedley Glanville Satchell, who held the post for fifty years until 1922. He was followed by Mr Donald Frederick Lambert, who occupied the seat for another forty-seven years to 1969. Since then we have seen the admirable service over a period of nineteen years each of Mr Harry Wellings and Mr Richard Hall. Our present organist Mr Robin Walker has been in post since 2007.
|Copyright ©2008 St Marys Oldswinford.|
All Rights Reserved.