Memorials inside the church
Around the walls of the Nave are some interesting memorials, some from the old church. They commemorate benefactors and illustrate the heritage of the old parish. The darkened Baker monument by the north door commemorates two clergymen: John and Joseph, and a tablet to Joseph Pitman who had a leather business in nineteenth century Stourbridge.
Dating from the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries on the wall of the north aisle are memorials to the locally prominent Hill family of Amblecote (who endowed Christ Church, The Lye) and to the life of Lodvick Verelst (1668-1704), eldest son of Dutch artist Harman Verlest and his wife Cicilia. Also commemorated here is the family of John Wheeler, industrial agent of Wollaston Hall and his fifteen children.
Underfoot in front of the chancel steps are memorials to the Foley family who amassed a fortune from their iron products during the Civil War - Robert became ironmaster to the navy in 1660, whilst his brother Thomas generously endowed Old Swinford Hospital in 1667.
Further interesting memorials can be found in the chancel and south chapel. High above the organ loft are guilded memorials to Robert Foley (d. 1702), his mother, the Hon. Anne Foley (d. 1717) and to one of her other sons Rev'd. Phillip Foley Esq.
On the south wall of the south chapel between the two windows can be seen a large monument and bust dedicated to the much-respected industrialist, James Foster of Stourton Court, who died in 1853. Above this is the unusual hatchment which accompanied the funeral procession in 1983 of local jeweller and Heraldry expert, Gus Peplow. There are also marble memorials to two early Rectors:
The south chapel also honours the memory of those who died in war, amongst them Felix Baxter, born barely one hundred yards away from the church. He was awarded the Victoria Cross in 1916. His father was a churchwarden here.
Between the south chapel and the chancel is a memorial to a family who served the church for seventy years as parish clerks: Edward Chance (1875-1916) and his son Albert (1916-1945).
Further along the south aisle are memorials to Daniel Clarke, landlord of the Talbot Inn in Stourbridge from 1696; the Hickman family (memorial pictured on this page), who made a fortune in clay and bricks; banker Thomas Rogers of The Hill, Amblecote who fathered five daughters none of whom married, and a son Samuel, a noteable poet.
|Copyright ©2008 St Marys Oldswinford.|
All Rights Reserved.